Book Group Meeting #4
Today we are thinking about THEME. Even though you may not be finished with the book yet, you probably have an idea of the theme. In a novel, theme is the main truth about life that the reader understands from reading the book. It is not stated directly, but rather inferred from clues in the text.
1. What is the theme of your book?
2. Give TWO pieces of evidence that prove that theme.
1. Share your ideas in your group. Everyone must talk!
2. Come to a group consensus on a theme statement. Remember, theme is not a single word; that’s a topic.
3. Each group member should add ONE piece of text evidence to prove the group theme statement.
Group #2- This is new!
Match up with others who have the same color stick as you do. These are people who did NOT read your book.
1. Take 2 minutes to think about plot, character, conflict and theme.
2. Tell your group about your book. Talk for at least 1 minute, preferably 2 minutes.
1. What book would you like to read next time? Put down 2 choices. There will be other choices also.
2. What do you think your grade (1-10) should be for the 4 book group meetings? Why?